Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Double Journal Entry #8

Situated Language and Learning: A critique of traditional schooling
Introduction
 
 
1. The main challenege being addressed in this book is "how to get all children- rich and poor- to be successful in school, but to ensure also that all children -rich and poor- are able to learn, think, and act in new ways fit for our new high-tech global world" (James Paul Gee, 2004).
 
2. I think what the author means by "ways with words" is that each subject area has it's own special set of language and symbols. Thus, making it more difficult to like language in the first place. Each subject has their own "ways with words".
 
3. The core arguement of this book is that "people learn new ways with words, in or out of school, only when they find the worlds to which these words apply compelling" (James Paul Gee, 2004). This means that a person must be interest in the content of the place where the language is useful.
 
4. I have worked in some type of food industry since I was 15 years old. While working there I have picked up my own "way with words" that only applies to that particular resteraunt. My friends that don't work with me are often confused when I say things to them that only my coworkers would understand. For example, when talking to a cook behind the line, you would say "Inside, I need.." and you relay the information. When they have understood what you said their response is "Heard,..." They repeat what you said back. If I were to use this language at home it would not make sense to anyone else but me.
 
5. People learn their "ways with words" best when they can tie those words to an experience or situation. It makes it easier to comprehend the words when there is a connection between the word and an experience/memory.
 
6. In order for people to be successful in the 21st century people "must become 'shape-shifting portfolio people'; that is, people who gain many diverse experiences that they can then use to transform and adapt themselves for fast-changing circumstances throughout their lives" (James Paul Gee, 2004).
 
7. I do believe that he is right. Language that you would learn in the classroom is not the ONLY language students will need to be successful. The more 'tools' they have on their toolbelt the better. I highly believe that students need to adapt to this changing world in order to be successful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment